Who We Are:
Challenge Manufacturing is a leading Tier 1 automotive supplier to a growing portfolio of Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) customers. Since 1981, Challenge Manufacturing has grown from a very small shop in Walker, Michigan to 12 locations across North America with 4,000 team members supported by 1,500 industrial robots.
What Makes Us Different?
Challenge Manufacturing is an employee-owned company and is currently ranked in the top 50 largest employee-owned companies in North America. Being an employee-owned company enables the Company to maintain a collaborative and teamwork-oriented work culture. Additionally, over time as the company grows, employees will share in that upside financially through ESOP retirement benefits.
Challenge is #PeoplePowered!
Sets up and changes dies on small and large (200 Ton to 2500 Ton) Progressive, Secondary and Transfer presses according to prescribed Job Element Sheets (JES) and die set up sheets to ensure quality parts are produced per Challenge Manufacturing Quality Standards, production schedules and engineering specifications
RESPONSIBILITIES AND RESULTS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understands and can explain the company’s Quality Policy
- Understands job description and required tasks. Able to explain how this position impacts customer satisfaction and contributes to fulfilling the Quality Policy
- Understands the overview of Quality Management System and document architecture
- Understands and explain all relevant quality policy, procedures, and work instructions associated with this job description
- Understands and is able to identify Quality Management System and implementation; Document and/or log all non-conformity
- Participates in preventative actions where appropriate. Conducts corrective actions and perform problem solving analysis and reporting as required
- Conducts housekeeping for personal work area and shared facility space
- Observes and complies with all safety, environmental, regulatory, and statutory requirements associated with this job description
- Participates in needs analysis and attends and performs the requirements of scheduled training and educational programs identified for this position
- Participates, as requested, in independent objective auditing activities and supports company continuous improvement activities
- Stops work on processes as appropriate and contains suspect or defective material or services to avoid further processing.
- Positions, and safely clamps Dies/tools, feed guides, and Guarding.
- Threads metal strip from coils through pinch rollers, and/or loads Dies/tools with metal blanks
- Installs part ejection, and air blasts/external oilers.
- Installs any and all die protection devices
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Ability to use basic Measurement skills
- Ability to use basic mathematic skills
- Knowledge of controls systems for programming purposes.
- Ability to operate Hilo/ Die Truck
- Has high standards of performance for self.
- Takes responsibility for actions, results, and mistakes.
- Is thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks; demonstrates honesty and integrity in all aspects of work.
- Takes positive action to objectively resolve conflict by listening, staying focused on issue to find resolution, and monitoring progress.
- Maintains positive relationships by constructively resolving conflicts.
- Uses feedback from others to continuously improve performance and work relationships.
- Moves within own and/or other work areas (flexes) to support plant flow.
- Works with sense of urgency to meet needs of customers.
- Has necessary experience, skills, and knowledge to perform all aspects of job; rotates through all job responsibilities.
- Maintains knowledge and skills to perform job effectively.
- Has ability to focus on benefits of change and see it as positive; approaches change or newness in constructive/objective manner; views change as learning opportunity.
- Looks for good in others; works collaboratively with others; shares information and knowledge.
- Is at work when scheduled and ensures coverage when absent; takes timely breaks/lunches; uses time wisely.
- Must be able to understand and follow written and verbal workplace instructions
- Must be able to work up to 12 hours per day including Saturday and Sunday
This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Able to use air tools, wrenches, and metal cutting devices.
- This is a high pace work environment that requires a sharp sense of your surroundings.
- Ability to be on your feet for long periods of time, and cover a lot of ground. In the summer months it does get very hot, and you must keep yourself hydrated.
- You must be able to lift up to 35 lbs.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- One to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Metal Stamping experience.
- Die setting in stamping.
- Lock out tag out experience.
- Press operating experience.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Benefits We Offer:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions, Flexible Spending Accounts, Company-Paid Short-Term Disability and Basic Life, Voluntary Life and LTD, Employer 401k Match, ESOP shares, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off.