Who We Are:
Challenge Manufacturing is a leading Tier 1 automotive supplier to a growing portfolio of Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) customers. Since 1981, Challenge Manufacturing has grown from a very small shop in Walker, Michigan to 12 locations across North America with 4,000 team members supported by 1,500 industrial robots.
What Makes Us Different?
Challenge Manufacturing is an employee-owned company and is currently ranked in the top 50 largest employee-owned companies in North America. Being an employee-owned company enables the Company to maintain a collaborative and teamwork-oriented work culture. Additionally, over time as the company grows, employees will share in that upside financially through ESOP retirement benefits.
Challenge is #PeoplePowered!
Conducts training across the plant for employees at all levels of the organization to provide team members with the knowledge, skills and abilities to meet the expectation for their various roles and responsibilities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND RESULTS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conducts New Hire training with all contract and direct hire team members to prepare all team members for their experiences in the plant
- Presents Challenge’s safety, quality and production standards training to form a unified vision across all team members
- Instructs team members on the proper use of gauges and other measurement devises to check parts to increase quality parts output
- Teaches team members how to utilize Plex (ERP system) at their work station to expedite acclimation to the production floor
- Administers pre and post tests for all training to gauge team member understanding
- Inputs training records for individual team members to maintain a current profile
- Assist the Training Coordinator with technical skills training and operational testing such as; hilo, aerial lift, quality skills training, crane safety, etc..
- Mentor production team members and new hires during on-the-job training phase
- Audit training and skills matrix to ensure that team members running production are properly trained and have records in the system to document their skill level
- Assist team leaders with small group dynamics, conflict resolution, and performance management skills development.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong communication skills to be able to speak in front of a group and impart information with other departments and areas in the plant
- Strong time management skills to be able to balance preparation, instruction, grading, data entry and contingencies as they arise
- Knowledge of Challenge safety policies and their impact on team member wellness
- Professional speech and attitude in dealing with members of many different genders, cultures, religions, beliefs, and ethnicities
- Demonstrates professionalism through dress and appearance, written and verbal communication and language, and preparedness.
- Has high standards of performance for self. Takes responsibility for actions, results, and mistakes. Is thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks; demonstrates honesty and integrity in all aspects of work.
- Takes positive action to objectively resolve conflict by listening, staying focused on issue to find resolution, and monitoring progress. Maintains positive relationships by constructively resolving conflicts.
- Uses feedback from others to continuously improve performance and work relationships.
- Moves within own and/or other work areas (flexes) to support plant flow. Works with sense of urgency to meet needs of customers.
- Has necessary experience, skills, and knowledge to perform all aspects of job; rotates through all job responsibilities. Maintains knowledge and skills to perform job effectively.
- Has ability to focus on benefits of change and see it as positive; approaches change or newness in constructive/objective manner; views change as learning opportunity.
- Looks for good in others; works collaboratively with others; shares information and knowledge.
- Updates and relays pertinent information to oncoming shift
- Is at work when scheduled and ensures coverage when absent; takes timely breaks/lunches; uses time wisely.
New hire team members will be working under your supervision and guidance while in the classroom and you will need to be able to report on their performance, progress and behavior to the Training Coordinator and the related Managers.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Some exposure to noise, fumes, dirt, heat, sparks, and smoke
- May also be exposed to water, vibration, dust, grease, and oil
- Some exposure to high and low voltage components and systems
- Frequently walks, bends, twists, turns, and lifts while performing functions of position
- Moderate-sized equipment used around work area
- Possible cuts, scrapes, burns or bruises
- Eye protection required; hearing protection required; cut resistant arm guards required; cut resistant gloves required
- Exposure to pinch points, rotating equipment
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum two years manufacturing experience
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Two year degree or certification
- Use of Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Instructional/teaching experience
- Four years manufacturing experience
- Public speaking experience
Training is a continuously changing field as we strive to better serve our customers (Challenge Team Members). As a result there will be continuous improvements to our processes and the materials on which we facilitate teaching and instruction. Teamwork will be key to being successful in this position. Flexibility is a close second for being successful. The ability to adapt to changes and work with different people to rapidly solve issues and keeps things moving forward is a primary duty of a trainer. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without written notice.
Benefits We Offer:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions, Flexible Spending Accounts, Company-Paid Short-Term Disability and Basic Life, Voluntary Life and LTD, Employer 401k Match, ESOP shares, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off.