Who We Are:
Challenge Manufacturing is a leading Tier 1 automotive supplier to a growing portfolio of Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) customers. Since 1981, Challenge Manufacturing has grown from a very small shop in Walker, Michigan to 12 locations across North America with 4,000 team members supported by 1,500 industrial robots.
What Makes Us Different?
Challenge Manufacturing is an employee-owned company and is currently ranked in the top 50 largest employee-owned companies in North America. Being an employee-owned company enables the Company to maintain a collaborative and teamwork-oriented work culture. Additionally, over time as the company grows, employees will share in that upside financially through ESOP retirement benefits.
Challenge is #PeoplePowered!
Has primary responsibility for tracking gages and ensuring they are calibrated and kept in suitable state of repair for facility use.
Responsibilities and Results:
- Performs all duties to support plant’s daily and weekly production requirements.
- Remove inactive gages from service. Arrange to send to appropriate warehouse.
- Always keep gages in good state of repair and cleanliness
- Track and perform tasks necessary to close out work orders as assigned in a timely manner. This includes fabricating or purchasing all feasible parts to repair in house gages.
- Support the company’s quality process when internal and external quality failures result in gage modifications or repairs.
- Determine priority of work orders and perform tasks according to priority and availability of gages.
- Assist in gage Certification and Identification per direction from certifying entity (CMM Lab, etc.)
- Locate gages in need of certification and direct them to appropriate certification entity
- Prepare gages for shipment to applicable off site locations.
- Ensures and maintains safety and cleanliness of work area by performing housekeeping duties.
- Completes appropriate paperwork and other documentation pertinent to the job.
- Support other Challenge Plant fabrication requirements as needed
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 6 Months of experience in a role where the primary function is quality control or quality management or similar quality function
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Able to stand for 8-10 hours a day and be physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to understand and follow written and verbal workplace instructions
- Must be able to, when required, work up to 12 hours per day including Saturday and Sunday
Skills and Knowledge Standards:
- Ability to assist with the assembly of GO/NO GO gages, Feeler Gages
- Ability to troubleshoot, repair and clean shop floor gages
- Ability to use quality inspection tools such as micrometers, calipers, depth gages and attribute gages.
- Ability to read and interpret gage drawings
- Ability to use a variety of gages (functional, go/no go) required
- PC and keyboard/mouse skills required
- Ability to frequently lift/move material weighing up to 40 pounds
- Ability to work as a contributing member within team environment
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- One year manufacturing experience
- Machine shop or millwright skilled trades experience desired
- Ability to fabricate simple pins and other gage parts using typical machine shop tools and methods
- Has high standards of performance for self. Takes responsibility for actions, results, and mistakes. Is thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks; demonstrates honesty and integrity in all aspects of work.
- Takes positive action to objectively resolve conflict by listening, staying focused on issue to find resolution, and monitoring progress. Maintains positive relationships by constructively resolving conflicts.
- Uses feedback from others to continuously improve performance and work relationships.
- Moves within own and/or other work areas (flexes) to support plant flow. Works with sense of urgency to meet needs of customers.
- Has necessary experience, skills, and knowledge to perform all aspects of job; rotates through all job responsibilities. Maintains knowledge and skills to perform job effectively.
- Has ability to focus on benefits of change and see it as positive; approaches change or newness in constructive/objective manner; views change as learning opportunity.
- Looks for good in others; works collaboratively with others; shares information and knowledge.
- Is at work when scheduled and ensures coverage when absent; takes timely breaks/lunches; uses time wisely.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Benefits We Offer:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions, Flexible Spending Accounts, Company-Paid Short-Term Disability and Basic Life, Voluntary Life and LTD, Employer 401k Match, ESOP shares, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off.