Who We Are:
Challenge is a leading employee-owned tier 1 supplier of complex metal assemblies for the global automotive industry. Challenge fosters a culture of collaboration, diversity, and innovation. We believe the best ideas come from individual unique perspectives. These ideas combined with the teamwork of industry experts allow us to accomplish any challenge. Our team members take pride in the work we do every day and they are the true driving force in our operations.
Challenge is proud to be one of the largest employee-owned automotive companies in North America. One of the many benefits of joining the Challenge team is the ESOP program. This program allows Challenge to give shares of the Company to all employee-owners annually. These shares are an additional retirement benefit that will continue to grow during your time at Challenge. Being part of an ESOP means our employee-owners share in Challenge’s success!
Challenge is #PeoplePowered and #EmployeeOwned !
Who We Want:
The General Manager will oversee all daily operations of the plant from production and manufacturing to ensuring policies and procedures are followed. They will also develop processes to maximize stewardship, safety, quality, and productivity.
What You'll Do:
- Define and prioritize operational goals and objective and manage projects to meet corporate goals and customer deadlines. Direct the team in solving specific challenges and overcoming project roadblocks when necessary, so that agreed upon goals and objectives are met. Guide direct personnel toward the achievement of established goals.
- Complete and present annual performance appraisals for all direct report employees, outlining positive and negative performance, and document a plan of action for sub-par performers. Assess the skill level of employees and provide training as needed to advance skills. Provide feedback for employee’s annual appraisal that perform in other areas but are not direct reports.
- Work with human resources department to recruit/hire employees needed to execute the functions of your responsible business area and help to influence the development of and implement strategies and programs that attract, develop, reward, and retain exceptional people.
- Mentor operational and logistic team members, managers, team leaders, and other contributing members, assisting in creating professional and technical growth goals for each team member. Identify future leaders within the company and support their leadership development.
- Interface with customers on key issues to resolve and communicate action plans as needed.
- Establish goals and drive improvement of key performance measures as determined each year.
- Write and/or present effective memos, letters, e-mail messages, reports, and presentations.
- Communicate verbally and in writing using appropriate language and tone
When and Where:
This will be a 1st Shift M-F position located at our Plant in Pontiac, MI.
What You Need to Have:
- High School Diploma required
- 5+ years’ experience leading the operation of a multi-shift production facility
- Proven leadership experience required
- Strong business acumen (P&L, strategic planning, resource allocation and human resources)
- Knowledgeable of safety, quality, productivity, inventory and stewardship processes
- Computer literacy required, including MS Office (Excel) and ERP/MRP experience
- Ability to create accountability and to lead by example
- Strong team building, decision-making and people management skills
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred.
- Union relations / experience in a union (UAW) environment strongly preferred
- Experience with Plex Systems ERP strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in automotive industry preferred.
- Has high standards of performance for self.
- Takes responsibility for actions, results, and mistakes.
- Is thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks; demonstrates honesty and integrity in all aspects of work.
- Takes positive action to objectively resolve conflict by listening, staying focused on issue to find resolution, and monitoring progress.
- Maintains positive relationships by constructively resolving conflicts.
- Uses feedback from others to continuously improve performance and work relationships.
- Moves within own and/or other work areas (flexes) to support plant flow.
- Works with sense of urgency to meet needs of customers.
- Has necessary experience, skills, and knowledge to perform all aspects of job; rotates through all job responsibilities.
- Maintains knowledge and skills to perform job effectively.
- Has ability to focus on benefits of change and see it as positive; approaches change or newness in constructive/objective manner; views change as learning opportunity.
- Looks for good in others; works collaboratively with others; shares information and knowledge.
- Is at work when scheduled and ensures coverage when absent; takes timely breaks/lunches; uses time wisely.
- Communication Proficiency
- Decision Making
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Financial Management
What We Offer:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions, Flexible Spending Accounts, Company-Paid Short-Term Disability and Basic Life, Voluntary Life and LTD, Employer 401k Match, ESOP shares, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.