Who We Are:
Challenge is a leading employee-owned tier 1 supplier of complex metal assemblies for the global automotive industry. Challenge fosters a culture of collaboration, diversity, and innovation. We believe the best ideas come from individual unique perspectives. These ideas combined with the teamwork of industry experts allow us to accomplish any challenge. Our team members take pride in the work we do every day and they are the true driving force in our operations.
Challenge is proud to be one of the largest employee-owned automotive companies in North America. One of the many benefits of joining the Challenge team is the ESOP program. This program allows Challenge to give shares of the Company to all employee-owners annually. These shares are an additional retirement benefit that will continue to grow during your time at Challenge. Being part of an ESOP means our employee-owners share in Challenge’s success!
Challenge is #PeoplePowered , #EmployeeOwned , and #QualityDriven !
Who We Want:
The Packaging Engineer develops and sets standards for all packaging materials and internal product containers throughout the corporation. The position oversees the design and validation of new product packaging solutions for all customer programs and all incoming raw materials. The position is also responsible for the procurement and maintenance of all internal material containers.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and present containerizations plans to Program Teams and Executives for all internal container needs, including WIP, in-transit, interplant, and line side presentation.
- Responsible for timely and accurate submission of all new program packaging documents.
- Oversee all post launch packaging changes between plants and end customer ensuring packaging data is submitted in a timely manner.
- Establish and maintain professional business relationships with Sales, Managers, Accounting, Shipping, and Manufacturing to assure proper expediting and order processing.
- Manage all correspondence regarding packaging issues for new and existing platforms, coordinating packaging design changes, validation, costs, and implementation.
- Be knowledgeable and up to date on all customer’s domestic, international, and service packaging guidelines to effectively communicate direction to Corporate and Plant Level Material teams.
- Oversee plant level packaging team member’s responsibilities for test packs, containerization management issues, and all other packaging related concerns.
- Consult with production, shipping, warehouse, or carrier vendors to expedite or trace missing or delayed shipments of returnable packaging.
- Final approval on all packaging instructions company wide – responsible for consistent and accurate information.
- Manage implementation of containerization plans insuring proper information is provided to plant level engineers and system are updated accordingly.
- Coordinates with Materials to ensure all appropriate containers, sizes, weights, and codes are entered in to Plex.
- Responsible for representing Challenge at all customer concept meetings and container buy offs.
- Consults estimating on unique packaging concerns; providing recommendations and quotes if required.
- Review and evaluate all potential packaging suppliers.
When and Where:
This will be a 1st Shift / 7AM-4PM M-F position located at our Plant in Pontiac, MI.
What You Need to Have:
- A bachelor's degree in Packaging Engineering or Related Field
- Minimum Five (5) years of experience in an Automotive Manufacturing or Related Industry
- Experience with Autocad, Inventor, and Team center
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to express complex technical concepts in business terms
- Proficient computer and keyboarding skills with an advanced understanding of ERP applications and Microsoft Office Applications
- Strong active listening skills: gives full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions when appropriate, and letting others fully state their ideas
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently while being courteous, clear, and dealing with the Company’s customer base in a professional manner
- Lean Manufacturing Training or Certification
- Has high standards of performance for self
- Takes responsibility for actions, results, and mistakes
- Is thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks; demonstrates honesty and integrity in all aspects of work
- Takes positive action to objectively resolve conflict by listening, staying focused on the issue to find resolution, and monitoring progress
- Maintains positive relationships by constructively resolving conflicts
- Uses feedback from others to continuously improve performance and work relationships
- Moves within own and/or other work areas (flexes) to support plant flow
- Works with sense of urgency to meet needs of customers
- Has necessary experience, skills, and knowledge to perform all aspects of job; rotates through all job responsibilities
- Maintains knowledge and skills to perform job effectively
- Has ability to focus on benefits of change and see it as positive; approaches change or newness in constructive/objective manner; views change as learning opportunity
- Looks for good in others; works collaboratively with others; shares information and knowledge
- Is at work when scheduled and ensures coverage when absent; takes timely breaks/lunches; uses time wisely
- Creative Thinking: Effective problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Attention to Detail: Able to manage project details to ensure perfect quality in work output
- Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Teamwork Skills: Able to work collaboratively with different team members and different levels of the organization (internal and external)
- Computer Modeling: Able to utilize computer aided modeling to ensure that workout meets the needs of the customer (internal and external)
What We Offer:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions, Flexible Spending Accounts, Company-Paid Short-Term Disability and Basic Life, Voluntary Life and LTD, Employer 401k Match, ESOP shares, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.