Who We Are:
Challenge is a leading employee-owned tier 1 supplier of complex metal assemblies for the global automotive industry. Challenge fosters a culture of collaboration, diversity, and innovation. We believe the best ideas come from individual unique perspectives. These ideas combined with the teamwork of industry experts allow us to accomplish any challenge. Our team members take pride in the work we do every day and they are the true driving force in our operations.
Challenge is proud to be one of the largest employee-owned automotive companies in North America. One of the many benefits of joining the Challenge team is the ESOP program. This program allows Challenge to give shares of the Company to all employee-owners annually. These shares are an additional retirement benefit that will continue to grow during your time at Challenge. Being part of an ESOP means our employee-owners share in Challenge’s success!
Challenge is #PeoplePowered , #EmployeeOwned , and #QualityDriven !
Who We Want:
The Group Leader is the front line of leadership at the plant level. Their purpose is to oversee all operations within their area. The Group Leader is responsible for ensuring that safety, quality, delivery, and production efficiencies meet the standards and expectation of internal and external customers. Group leaders are also morale builders and are responsible for creating a positive work environment for all employees.
What You'll Do:
- Manage weld destruct processes with detailed accuracy, and discipline
- Coaches and assist all employees with problem solving, and personal issues
- Validates and records data in Pax-It
- Train team members on various processes, procedures, and job tasks within their work zone
- Certify team members on individual processes to satisfy each level of progression on the skills matrix
- Ensures quality standards are metEnsures on time delivery is met according to customer demands, and scheduling
- Pays close attention to detail. Example: Safety, Housekeeping, quality, performance, instructions given by management, and employee well-being
- Incident reporting, and investigation of root cause for injuries, near misses, and manufacturing equipment incidents (i.e. mis-hit, tool crash, etc..)
- Monitors employee attendance, and disciplines accordingly in accordance with the employee handbook
- Monitor production quality and throughput. Ensure that hour by hour boards, zone boards and other production monitoring systems are updated
- Work with support groups to return processes to standard when abnormal conditions occur
- Manages operations in accordance with attendance
- Directs team leaders, material handlers, operators, and support groups on daily task
- Conducts toolbox talks daily to remind employees of all categories listed on the check sheet
- Follows Company produces for production identification & traceability, containment of non-conforming material, inventory movements and production reporting
When and Where:
This will be a 1st Shift / 8AM-5PM M-F position located at our Plant in Walker, MI.
What You Need to Have:
- High School diploma or GED
- Three to five years related experience in a supervisor position; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Associate degree or bachelor’s degree preferred
- Training in PAX-IT software preferred
- Has high standards of performance for self
- Takes responsibility for actions, results, and mistakes
- Is thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks; demonstrates honesty and integrity in all aspects of work
- Takes positive action to objectively resolve conflict by listening, staying focused on issue to find resolution, and monitoring progress
- Maintains positive relationships by constructively resolving conflicts
- Uses feedback from others to continuously improve performance and work relationships
- Moves within own and/or other work areas (flexes) to support plant flow
- Works with sense of urgency to meet needs of customers
- Has necessary experience, skills, and knowledge to perform all aspects of job; rotates through all job responsibilities
- Maintains knowledge and skills to perform job effectively
- Has ability to focus on benefits of change and see it as positive; approaches change or newness in constructive/objective manner; views change as learning opportunity
- Looks for good in others; works collaboratively with others; shares information and knowledge
- Is at work when scheduled and ensures coverage when absent; takes timely breaks/lunches; uses time wisely
- Basic Measurement and gage use skills
- Manufacturing and quality experience
- Computer skills
- Basic Math skills
- Team building skills
- Troubleshooting skills
- Problem solving skills using disciplined methods to identify root causes (i.e. 5 Why)
What We Offer:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions, Flexible Spending Accounts, Company-Paid Short-Term Disability and Basic Life, Voluntary Life and LTD, Employer 401k Match, ESOP shares, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.