Who We Are:
Challenge is a leading employee-owned tier 1 supplier of complex metal assemblies for the global automotive industry. Challenge fosters a culture of collaboration, diversity, and innovation. We believe the best ideas come from individual unique perspectives. These ideas combined with the teamwork of industry experts allow us to accomplish any challenge. Our team members take pride in the work we do every day and they are the true driving force in our operations.
Challenge is proud to be one of the largest employee-owned automotive companies in North America. One of the many benefits of joining the Challenge team is the ESOP program. This program allows Challenge to give shares of the Company to all employee-owners annually. These shares are an additional retirement benefit that will continue to grow during your time at Challenge. Being part of an ESOP means our employee-owners share in Challenge’s success!
Challenge is #EmployeeOwned and #QualityDriven ! We are #OneChallenge !
Who We Want:
The Quality Engineer is responsible for conducting on going analysis of the production process inputs and output to ensure that customer (internal and external) quality requirements are being achieved.
What You'll Do:
- “Safe Launch” participant to constructively accept a detailed hand-off of product requirements from APQP QE.
- The “Safe Launch” hand-off process links the APQP QE and Current Production QE when the first MRD parts are being run. These QEs work together to obtain and complete the necessary quality system documentation, dimensional data, GP-12 support, and PTR/MRD packaging and labeling for shipment.
- Supporting the “Safe Launch” process also includes providing the plant communication linkage for a formal tooling buy-off process, including Run at Rate support and associated documentation to declare die/welder readiness for production. This is then followed by the preparation of all PPAP documentation for submission.
- Responsible for all plant level quality concerns for assigned product.
- Serve as direct point of contact for customer complaints.
- Manage Quality System for all changes after launch.
- Obtain “Master Samples” from 300-piece initial production run for Program archiving of Part Quality at start of production.
- Update Control Plans & FMEA as Issues Arise from the Floor or Customer.
- Issue Product Quality Check Deviations following direction from management.
- Provide timely acknowledgement responses to customer complaints.
- Provide formal documentation PRR/HTR, responses to the customer.
- Be a presence at the assembly plants to provide face-to-face interaction and ensure customer satisfaction while developing relationships.
- Understand how each part is utilized in the vehicle build and become the “expert” regarding what the customer expects from us as the supplier of this part.
- Provide the plant management with the “voice of the customer” and explain what key part attributes are important to manage on each part and why.
- Train plant level quality auditors and production team leaders on part-to-part concerns regarding acceptability, inspection methodology, and customer expectations.
- Direct Quality Technicians to provide supporting product quality documentation (Part Picture Visuals, Packaging Instructions, Gage Instructions, Quality Alerts, etc.), and floor support as necessary.
- Provide plant with priorities for part improvement to ensure the most important attributes are addressed first, and stress continuous improvement.
- Address plant floor quality concerns as they arise, provide timely opinions for acceptability, and be able to provide the proper decision criteria for management to direct the part disposition.
- Champion problem control meetings for customer complaints, and attendees need to be accountable for their problem control responsibilities by area managers.
- The QE should be involved in monitoring daily part quality and spend time on the floor checking parts and auditing product and process to verify that customer requirements are met.
- Participate in the layered process audits.
- Implement new methods of inspection and control when required. (i.e.: enhanced containment techniques and documentation, SPC data, scheduled CMM runs or Roamer scans, etc.)
- The QE is responsible for supporting all QSB+ and TS requirements associated with his/her assigned part responsibilities.
When and Where:
This will be a first shift M-F position located at our Plant in Walker, MI.
What You Need to Have:
- Associate degree from a 2 or 4 year college
- 5 Years in related experience and/or training
- Advance GD&T training
- Understanding of the Specific Customer Requirements
- Understanding the PPAP Process
- Understanding of the APQP Process
- Understanding of dimensional data and the ability to analyze and make decision
- Understands problem solving and all the involved core tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Plexus experience
- Proficient or expert in Microsoft Office
- Has high standards of performance for self
- Takes responsibility for actions, results, and mistakes
- Is thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks; demonstrates honesty and integrity in all aspects of work
- Takes positive action to objectively resolve conflict by listening, staying focused on issue to find resolution, and monitoring progress
- Maintains positive relationships by constructively resolving conflicts
- Uses feedback from others to continuously improve performance and work relationships
- Moves within own and/or other work areas (flexes) to support plant flow
- Works with sense of urgency to meet needs of customers
- Has necessary experience, skills, and knowledge to perform all aspects of job; rotates through all job responsibilities
- Maintains knowledge and skills to perform job effectively
- Has ability to focus on benefits of change and see it as positive; approaches change or newness in constructive/objective manner; views change as learning opportunity
- Looks for good in others; works collaboratively with others; shares information and knowledge
- Is at work when scheduled and ensures coverage when absent; takes timely breaks/lunches; uses time wisely
What We Offer:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions, Flexible Spending Accounts, Company-Paid Short-Term Disability and Basic Life, Voluntary Life and LTD, Employer 401k Match, ESOP shares, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.